SSL Certificate: Is Your Website Secure?

blog by chrisp design on ssl certificates

Website ‘Not Secure’?

Your Free Guide To A Safe Site

Do you have an SSL Certificate for your website? If not, Google will be flagging up your website this year. The internet has fast become a necessity of everyday life for the majority of people. We go online for everything from quick research to the buying and selling of products or services. Undoubtedly, Google loves its users and therefore, is coming up with every possible way to make us feel secure here on the internet. Google announced its plans to flag up all unencrypted internet and now, towards the end of 2019, this plan is well and truly in place. This means that if somebody loads a website that doesn’t have an SSL Certificate in place, it will display as ‘Not Secure’ in the URL bar.

What is an SSL Certificate?

Think of your SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) as your electronic passport. It is standard technology that establishes an encrypted link between a web server and a browser. When installed on a web server, it activates the padlock and the https protocol and allows secure connections from a web server to a browser. This will protect any type of data that you have stored your website from email addresses to credit card details.

An SSL is not only important for protecting your data but it also allows other users to know that any data they provide is being handled securely and remains private and confidential. When installed, web browsers provide visual cues, such as the green bar or lock icon, so visitors know that their connection is secure.

Top Tip

SEO is a complicated and in-depth world but, Google recently announced that having an SSL Certificate is the easiest thing site owners can do to boost SEO ranking. This applies to all sites, whether they store personal information or not.

Why Do You Need One?

Four years ago, only 15% of the sites in the world used a valid Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) certificate authority while this figure had increased to around 70%. If you are now part of the remaining 30% that is not secure then your brand is being questioned by every consumer before they even get a chance to land on your homepage. In contrast, by having an SSL Certificate you are building and enhancing customer confidence. Importantly, it will protect your confidential information and ensure the security of data between servers. Also if you are a business that has an SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) focus then by having a certificate you can increase your Google Ranking due to having a more trustworthy website.

If you store and share information online, this information is shared from computer to computer before it reaches its intended destination. Any computer in between you and the server can see this delicate information if it has not been encrypted. By having an SSL Certificate active, you are now making this information unreadable to everyone except between you and the server it is intended for.

Preventing Cybercriminals

According to Cybersecurity Ventures, cybersecurity damages will cost the world over $6 trillion annually by 2021. By not having an SSL certificate in place, these clever criminals will be able to sense and identify a weakness in your network and pounce, especially when information is being transmitted. By making your website as secure as possible, you are putting yourself in the best position to deter these potential attackers and preventing yourself from becoming the next victim.

Hackers are now focusing on sites that are not secure, especially those that use phishing sites. These are websites that seem like complete replicas of your website but their sole purpose is to steal and clone sensitive data. It is difficult and impossible for fake sites to obtain SSL certificates. When customers are notified that the SSL certificate is not present, they avoid being victims of these fake sites.

Secure Your Site

The biggest mistake any website owner can make these days is to take lightly the importance of SSL certificate, especially when more and more personal information is being handled on the internet and cybercrime is becoming more and more rampant. At Chrisp Design, we want all of the websites that we build to be dynamic and pioneering when it comes to both its design and security. Contact us today and secure your website with the now essential SSL certificate.

Posted on September 24, 2019 in Web Design, Website Design, Websites

Share the Story

About the Author

Hi! Vincent here, Marketing Strategist at Chrisp Design. My aim is to keep you up to date with all things new in the Digital Marketing world and keep you ahead of your competition by constantly providing you with new tips and techniques.

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to Top
Translate »